Tuesday 6 August 2013

Moving house and other stuff

So I have officially moved house. As I have mentioned before, this always fills me with fear. Yet I have struck gold. I found a private landlord who is organised, responsible and not going to screw me over. Me and two of my housemates have moved to Leyton to a house that is B-E-A-utiful.



I would post pictures but I don't want to get robbed, so take my word for it went I say it is a nice, adult house. It's got exposed floorboards, the walls are finished white and all the furniture is from IKEA. It is definitely a step-up from Mile End. I've already been invited to a street party, my new borough was just named Greenest borough of London and they have those brown recycling bins for food (we have them in Somerset but not Tower Hamlets). Also, funny story. I got locked out of the house on the second day and had to formally meet my new neighbours, soaking wet, asking them for a boost over the garden fence. 

We rented a van for the day and we are all moved in. It's pretty expensive to move house (I'm late to this epiphany). All these little payments are required and soon you realised you've spent quite a bit. But it's almost September and that means two things:
  1. I start medical school soon!!!!!!!
  2. Holiday in Spain with the family!
I've finished all the paperwork required for medical school and I'm currently having a course of vaccination boosters. Subsequently I'm waiting for my UCAS to change to 'unconditional' and I think Barts Admissions Office are getting annoyed of my emails asking if it's going to change yet. I can't help it. I'm very excited. This is a dream that has taken several years to achieve (as followers of my blog will know) and I'm going to enjoy the moment. Although I should probably has more humility about it.

Finally, I went up to Bristol yesterday for lunch with my mum. We celebrated my 2:1, my new house and generally everything being sorted for September. I also paid a trip to my favourite bookstore in Bristol, an Oxfam Charity Shop. This shop has the best selection of second hand books. With Bristol Medical School so close, it has an eclectic selection of medical books. I always visit once every few months to grab some bargins. Previous purchases have included recommended books for my Anatomy, Haematology and Pathology modules. This time I found a few PBL workbooks (good as new) and a few general fiction books on my Amazon wish list. Plus it's all for charity so it's a double whammy.

P.S. I've got a few emails about how I'm funding my second undergraduate degree. That deserves a whole other post later this week.

1 comment:

  1. It would’ve been nice to see some photos of your new house. At least you’re really excited about the move and you’re in a nice area. I understand about the cost of moving though. When I moved a couple of years ago, I couldn’t really afford all the expenses and so I decided to rent a self storage space for all my stuff. I saved quite a bit of money and eventhough I didn’t have everything at my new place all at once, it was probably better as it gave me time to properly sort out and finish each room AND concentrate on studying as well.

    ReplyDelete