Tuesday 14 August 2007

Don't Be A Doctor!

I've been catching up on my med-blog reading after deciding to step back from the computer for a few days and discovered a little gem of a blog. Incidental Findings provides a wonderful look on med school and life as a doctor. It is honest, descriptive and sometimes blunt. I surfed through blogs and discovered a series of posts called "Don't Become a Doctor". There are currently ten but a planned 16 so I await six more.

I found the series very useful and gave me a side to medicine I haven't seen. I would recommend others to read it because I feel I am more more comfortable for when my time comes at med school interviews.

For those who are too lazy to read the pages I have linked and summarized each post.

1# - Describes how as a doctor you see people at their worst. You will see suffering, abuse and all kinds of human atrocities. You will face the dark side of humanity, if you can't accept it don't choose medicine.

2# - As a doctor you will learn to emotionally detach yourself from patients. Yet this can cause problems at home and in relationships if you remain closed.

3# - Curing is rare as many diseases cannot be eradicated. Medicine is more about extending life.

4# - Medicine will become part of your lifestyle. "A cruel mistress" who will always be there.

5# - You should not look to the career for admiration. Yes people will constantly ask your advice but if they are not your patient then you should not give it. Responsibility comes with the job and you must be aware how serious people take your word.

6# - Your sense of humour should be dark, not to be horribile, but to distance yourself. If you can't accept that then get out as other staff will laugh.

7# - Being thanked for all your work is not something to look for in medicine. Not all patients will thank you and you may even be sued. Look elsewhere for constant recognition.

8# - Others careers may stay constant but medicine will change. You must keep up or fall behind.

9# - Like any job you will get responsibility, however you are given responsibility over human life. People trust you to make the decision. If you can't except the pressure, walk away now.

10# - Many doctors are portrayed badly in the press. GPs are seen as greedy and selfish. If you are looking for prestige and admiration then medicine should be avoid. The media will not help the image.

All pre-meds and those considering please read these. I would also recommend another series he has written called "Why I Choose Medicine, #2, #3 and #4"

1 comment: