Tuesday 6 March 2012

Appendicitis

So reading week has come and gone at Queen Mary. Mine has been quite eventful.

I noticed that the day after my interview I had abdomen pain in my lower right quadrant. I initially assumed it was stressed and that it would go. However after two or three days it didn't and I started to get worried. I pulled out my Kumar and Clark and check the symptoms for appendicitis. I had the pain but no nausea, fever or diarrhoea. So I waited.

I waited for over a week until I was back home in Somerset with my family. When the pain got so bad, I went to see my GP who sent me straight to A&E with a referral.

I was admitted on the Friday, operated on the Saturday and released on Monday (last week). The surgeons confirmed it was appendicitis after and were nothing but nice to me. My real praise goes to the nurses though. My hospital was at peak capacity that weekend. So much so, that I was kept on a day ward for my entire stay. I lost count of the number of shift changes I saw but each and every nurse was amazing. They cared, they genuinely wanted to help me and had the patience of a saint.

I was so impressed by the NHS and it made me fear America. If I had to worry about money before entering hospital, then the entire experience would have been different.

Surprisingly, it took my mind off my Medicine application because I couldn't access emails.
I'm slowly recovering. Slower than I'd like. Wounds are healing well, but I've still got some pain issues and after 10 days I might be slightly worried. I've missed over a week of uni and with exam timetable just being released I'm panicking slightly.

Also Barts are dragging their heels at releasing offers/rejections. I know that they released information yesterday for graduates applying for A100. I didn't hear anything so I'm not classified as a graduate. According to TSR that leaves me as a reapplicant or school leaver. I would assume reapplicant is more appropriate. This would mean that I would be hearing from Barts today. WOW. Writing that just made me get butterflies. I could be hearing from Barts today. Or not. This is all based on patterns detected by TSR. However those crazy people are usually right.

I'll let you guys know either way.

1 comment:

  1. Get well soon..! I had the same issue last December..!! As you mentioned nurses were too good..! :)

    ReplyDelete