Thursday 5 June 2008

Exam Results

(Sorry for the long post, it's an issue I've let build and now feel the need to express on my blog)

All my exams are now over and I cannot stop smiling, well actually I do ever time I release how I've wasted a year. I've held off from posting my AS Jan results on here because I'm embarrassed that I didn't kick myself up the arse and work.

Chemistry - C
Law - C
Maths - C
Biology - D

These grades were appalling in January and I can only blame myself. I went to every party the college had, I joined the hockey team, joined the student union, spent free periods in subway and spent nearly half my week at work. It was poor organisation and yet my motivation is medicine, surely it should have been a walk in the park.

Naturally I resat every exam but fear the outcome will not be much better. My current modules were great but I fear the resits will not have a better outcome. I expect I'll have to carry all on to A2 so I can resit again, but I have learnt something from this year. Revise from the beginning!!! I wish someone had told me at the start, I could have saved myself some hassle and the cost of resits. I know that if I can get my grades to As and resit within the two years, I'll be fine for medicine but it's work that I should have released I didn't need to do.

The worst thing is none of my friends get it. I try to explain that if I retake the whole year, that less than 10 med schools would even considered me, that UCAS would sell my story down the river in a heartbeat. It's lost on them, many of their careers while academic do not worry about retakes.

I've already started research and developing review methods. I've found some electronic flash card software and am looking at exam papers so I use them much earlier in my learning stages. I hope it doesn't come across as wanting pity, because I don't. I may have risked my chance of a (BARTS) medical school place, something I'll have to live with, but I accept that it rests solely with me.

3 comments:

  1. If it makes you feel any better my AS grades at the end of yr 12 were abcc and with just a little more hard work and a little less partying I managed to get AABb overall by the end of yr 13. I've got my fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't get into medicine from school...due to a bizarre calculus mark and had to spend an extra year doing another uni course before transferring in. It sucks, but it is worth it in the end. Good luck and keep us posted on the progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey love the blog, been reading for a while now, I believe i'm the same boat (sorta anyway!) as i had bad AS jan modules. how does B,D,E,E sound?! yeah i was shocked but i've done all my resits, fingers crossed to you for August 14th (or is it 15th)

    anyway if you wanna talk my i have an account on TSR with the username mullac14

    cheers

    ReplyDelete