Monday 23 June 2008

Здравствуйте

Nope, the title isn't a typo. It's hello in Russian. This post is really about an embarrassment that I'm not sure many British citizens would acknowledge. You see when I went on holiday to Mallorca last year, every European I met spoke minimum 2 languages. I never had trouble with translation as often my fellow holiday makers spoke fluent English, which to be honest embarrassed me.

Multilingualism was often compulsory at school, appearing to be a normal expectation within European citizens. However there I laid in the sun, with only a pocket book back home full of rude French words.

This embarrassment lead to me learning sign language and I have also decide that I will use the following summer months to learn a language. I've yet to decide but I'd love to learn Russian. Something draws me to the language, however Spanish, Polish or French would also be wise choices. ED -- (Opinions Welcome)

I don't know if anyone else understands or has experienced this but I hope I've conveyed it well.

3 comments:

  1. Spanish is very useful cause it's so widely spoken. When you're a doctor you could join a volunteer group and travel out there..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely Spanish....all the way. Or Portuguese because it is so beautiful. But practically, I would go for Spanish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always feel really bad about that sort of thing. Especially as I lived abroad for 5 years of my childhood and didn't pick up anything remotely useful or memorable.

    Took German to GCSE, so I guess I can ask them what their favourite food is, and whens their birthday.

    Real useful education!

    ReplyDelete